The Mary Cotton Public Library shall provide access to electronic information systems (including computers, computer networks and electronic information resources) to staff members and patrons as is sufficient for the Library’s mission, goals, policies and procedures, and with applicable local state, federal and international laws. MCPL also expects that users of these systems shall not interfere with systems operations, integrity or security, or otherwise inhibit normal Library activities. MCPL is responsible for systems operations and integrity, and may develop appropriate procedures to ensure systems efficiency, reliability and security, and legal and ethical system use.
STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY
Transaction logs, electronic mail and other information, which could be used to identify users with specific materials or subject matter, are considered by the Library to be confidential, and will not be divulged to anyone other than the user. All users are advised that such records shall not be made available to any agency of state, federal or local government except pursuant to such process, order or subpoena as may be authorized under the authority of, and pursuant to, federal, or legislative investigative power.
COMPUTERS and PERIFERALS FOR PUBLIC USE
The Mary Cotton Public Library provides 12 computers for use by the public. Two Samsung tablets with keyboards are also available for in-library use by patrons. An HP 8600 color scanner/copier/printer is also available for public use. A list of the various programs and software installed on the computers is available to the public upon request. A Xerox color printer and an HP Laser jet printer is each networked to all the computers in the library and available for public use.The following policies apply to the use of these computers and equipment. 1) Patrons using the computer will have some basic computer knowledge. Searching suggestions and technical assistance is dependent on staff availability and expertise.
1) Patrons using the computer will have some basic computer knowledge. Searching suggestions and technical assistance is dependent on staff availability and expertise.2) Patrons may use the computer for up to 60 minutes per day.
a. The staff reserves the right to extend the time if the computer is available.
b. The staff reserves the right to ask a patron to limit the computer to 30 minutes if there are more than three people waiting to use the computer.
c. The staff reserves the right to refuse computer time to anyone under the age of 12 unless accompanied by a parent or guardian.
3) Patrons must have a MCPL patron number and have signed a computer/internet use
agreement before using the computer.
a. Children under the age of 12 who have had a parent or guardian sign an agreement giving permission to use the computer/internet.
b. Out of town patrons who have a one-time need to use the computer/ internet. These people must ask and receive permission from the staff on duty. Staff reserves the right to refuse service if not a patron or meets the above criteria.
4) Patrons may call and reserve a time to use the computer. Reservations may be made up to one week in advance.
5) The user must utilize computer resources for legal purpose only. Unacceptable purposes include but are not limited to the following:
a. Any unauthorized attempt to access files or to perform actions not expressly authorized by the director or assistant director.
b. Any attempt to access security-related or otherwise confidential information without the explicit authority to do so.
Person requesting information of this nature must be in possession of a legal warrant/subpoena to obtain the information.
c. Damage or destruction to equipment, software, or data belonging to the library
d. Unauthorized use or destruction of data of others.
e. Unauthorized copying of copyright-protected material. Users are subject to all State and Federal laws and must comply with all U.S. Copyright regulations.
The MCPL expressly disclaims any liability or responsibility arising from access to or use of information obtained through its electronic information systems or any consequences there-of.
f. Harassment, libeling, or slandering other users.
g. Downloading or installing unauthorized programs from a disk or from the Internet.
h. If user is under 17, accessing sites deemed harmful to minors and visual pornography.
6) Patrons may not save to the hard drives of the computers.
a. All hard drives are swept clean at each boot-up.
b. Anyone wishing to bring their own disks to work on must have it scanned for viruses before accessing it.
c. Anyone needing a disk may purchase one from the circulation desk for 1.00.
7) Only two people are allowed at the computer station at a time.
8) Rough use of the computer or rowdy behavior while accessing the computer may result in that patron being denied use of the computer. Staff may exercise the right to end the patron’s session and ask them to leave the library premises immediately or may warn the patron.
9) No outside game disks may be used on the computers without permission by staff or director.
INTERNET ACCESS POLICY
As part of its mission to serve as an educational and recreational resource for the community, Mary Cotton Public Library seeks to provide users with access to the Internet and the World Wide Web. The Library is a forum for all points of view and adheres to and endorses the principles of intellectual freedom. The MCPL will not monitor or restrict the choice of sites visited by individual patrons or the content of those sites except as prohibited by the Child Internet Protection Act, which has declared that the filtering mandate in CIPA, is constitutional. In accordance, MCPL has provided an Internet filter system on all Library computers through the Northeast Kansas Library System. Although not perfect, it is an effort on the Board of Trustee’s part to protect our children under the age of 16, from visual pornography and material deemed “harmful to minors”.
The Mary Cotton Public Library has no control over the information accessed through the Internet and cannot be held responsible for its content. Parents or guardians are advised to supervise their children’s Internet sessions. Parents and only parents may restrict their children, and only their children, from access to Internet resources through the Library.Internet access will be provided free of charge to patrons while the Library receives unlimited access for a monthly rate.
Guidelines for accessing the Internet at MCPL 1) User must have a current Library card or gain permission from the staff on duty.
1) User must have a current Library card or gain permission from the staff on duty.
2) User must read and sign the Library’s Internet Use Agreement.
3) A parent must read and sign the Library’s Internet Use Agreement for any user under the age of 18.
4) The library staff may assist the user in accessing the Internet if needed.
5) There is no in-house email system. User must establish an email account from a public provider such as Yahoo or Hotmail or have access to another account from another provider.
6) The user may be asked to discontinue Internet usage if any Internet content viewed is offensive to other patrons, library staff or the Library Director.
7) Children 16 or younger are restricted from accessing visual pornography or sites deemed “harmful to minors.”
8) Users may print materials on the library’s printers or download information onto their own flash drives or disks. Any material downloaded to the library computer will be automatically erased upon restart of the computer. Users may not download information, games or other material to the library computers’ hard drives.
9) Users are urged to use caution in submitting personal or financial information over the Internet. MCPL will not be held responsible for damage due to this kind of behavior.
$. 10/page Normal black and white printing
$. 50/page Color pictures on plain white paper (including Magic School Bus printouts)$1.00 /page Card stock or photo paper. Fax machine usage:$.50 for the first page, and $.10 /for each additional page.Copy machine$.10 /one sided copy (letter size)
$.15/ two sided copy
$.20/color copy (text only)
$.20/ 8.5 x 14 inch copy (legal size)
$.25 / 2 sided 8.5 x 14 inch copy